Sunday 2 March 2014

Time to spring

My least favourite months of the year are finally over, goodbye January and February. I won't miss you at all.

Not that I've had an awful couple of months or anything, I just think they're bloody miserable months.

Everyone is skint, the weather is totes rubbish, you keep dreaming of days when you wont need to wear your massive duvet coat, the shops have summer clothes in that you cant wear yet anyway, and they just seem to go on forever. And ever. And ever!

But now it is March, and I feel like Spring has sprung. Wahoo! I marked the occasion by taking my new neon bright handbag for its first outing last night. It was pretty special.

I remember a time a few years ago, when I was so disconnected from the seasons. I didn't care what month it was, or what the weather was like, as it didn't make me feel any better or worse.

It felt like I was almost on a different planet or something. In fact, I distinctly remember writing a blog one day about how much I hated summer, because I felt like it should make me feel better, but I was completely immune to it.

How grateful I am to be out of that place.

And although I dislike January and February, I'm still glad that they are part of the year. I've taught myself to try and enjoy parts of the winter, because if there was no winter, I wouldn't appreciate the magic of spring.

The dark and cold season has to exist, in order for everything to come to life once again.

Could be a metaphor for my life really. My illness took me to the darkest, most lonely place, in order for me to be brought slowly back into the light. If that makes sense. It does in my head anyway.

And the comforting thing is about the seasons, is that you know that their change is a certainty.

One day the temperature will rise, the days will get longer, the daffodils will fight against the frost, and suddenly, before you realise, winter has ended.

It is pretty darn magical when you think about it. Magical and mysterious. I'm so thankful for the new life and hope (because hope has to be there doesn't it? Especially when you think of those determined little flowers fighting against the cold, hoping against hope that they burst through and flourish...)  that spring brings with it.





xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment