Monday 3 December 2012

Time to change


A better day, but still feeling a bit grotty.

Grotty in my body rather than my brain though, which is the lesser of the two evils.

I read an excellent article this morning as I munched my way through my 2 bowls of coco pops. Check out the link below. There are some scary statistics, which make me realise even more just how many people are suffering in silence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/tragic-deaths-that-demand-a-better-response-than-i-witnessed-8374130.html?origin=internalSearch

It also highlights the negative connotations that still surround mental illness.

From my own point of view, when I have to fill in certain medical forms, I hate ticking the box that says 'mental health problems'. Because I don't think I have a problem. The word problem makes you think of difficulty, something that's unsolvable, that's never going to change. And I don't like that label.

I don't mind 'mental illness' or 'mental health issues' that's fine and dandy. Its just that word 'problem' that I hate.

Nobody goes around saying to people with high blood pressure that they have a 'physical problem', so why should it be OK to label mental illness in the same way?

Just a little bit of food for thought for you on this cold and dull Monday evening....

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment