Thursday 6 October 2011

hopes and dreams

hope (hopes, hoping, hoped)  :

want or expect to have a wish to have or do something or for something to happen or be true, especially something that seems possible or likely
          
confident desire a feeling that something desirable is likely to happen

likelihood of success a chance that something desireable will happen or be possible

wish or desire something that somebody wants to have or do or wants to happen or be true

source of success somebody or something that seems likely to bring success or relief

trust a feeling of trust (archaic Old English)

dream:

imaginings while asleep a sequence of images that appear involuntarily to the mind of somebody who is sleeping, often a mixture of real and imaginary characters, places and events

waking imaginings a series of images, usually pleasant ones, that pass through the mind of somebody who is awake

something hoped for something that somebody hopes, longs, or is ambitious for, usually something difficult to attain or far removed from present circumstances

idle hope an idea or hope that is impractical or unlikely ever to be realized

vague state a state of inattention owing to preoccupation with thoughts or fantasies

something beautiful somebody or something that seems particuarly good looking or wonderful


Bloomsbury, London, Concise English Dictionary, 2001

 My meeting went really well with my new doctor today. Its great to have some good news.

And strangely it led me to dust off my giant dictionary and have a little investigate. Because she asked me what my hopes and dreams were. Two words that I like a lot. Good job really as I have one of them tattooed on my arm. But I don't always like the words used together. They seem a bit scary next to each other.

When I was a little girl I had so many hopes and dreams. They were sometimes quite basic (I wanted a dog and a red car when I grew up), and others were slightly more wild (I wanted to walk on the moon.) I was also a little bit obsessed with the Queen, and desperate to meet her. I was absoloutly convinved that she had a gold bathroom, complete with a gold toilet and everything. I'm not entirely sure where this fascination came from, or why it was her bathroom that really gripped my imagination, but I was only 6!

Two years ago, that particular childhood dream actually happened. I won't bore everyone with the story, but  its an example of something that I never believed would come true. Quite a random and crazy example, but surely thats what all the best dreams are like?!

And so, after todays appointment I got out my notebook and started to scribble some hopes and dreams for my future. I still cant believe I actually did it to be honest, I must have just eaten a happy pill or something. Despite being ever so tempted to rip up the list. I'm going to keep it. I need to remind myself that just because I've written them down doesn't mean I'm a failure if I don't achieve them. They are only fanciful ideas. But  a good way to start.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment