Thursday 20 December 2012

Revisiting Bits and Pieces

              
As the season of goodwill is upon us, I've been thinking about friendship, love, and all those warm and fuzzy feelings that Christmas reminds us about. I've been contemplating the many people that have come in and out of my life.

Some good, some bad, but many who don't and wont ever realise the impact they may have had on my life. I'm pretty certain that my friends and family know just how much I love them, but what about everyone else?

What about my first art teacher who introduced me to Picasso? Or the lady on the bus that made me laugh when I was having a bad day? The girl at school who used to pick on me. The boy at school I used to pick on...Where are they? Do they know?

It might be because I haven't seen them for 15 years.

It might be because I fell out with them.

It might be because I've never met them.

And so, as I did way back in February 2011, I'm going to quote one of my favourite poems.

This poem was introduced to me in 2008 at the end of a very memorable summer, working on Camp Alta Mons, Virginia. 

 Apologies, I cant remember the authors name....

Bits and Pieces 

People.
People important to you, people unimportant to you,
Cross your life,touch it with love and carelessness and move on.

There are people who leave you and you breathe a sigh of relief,
and you wonder why you ever came into contact with them.
There are people who leave and you breathe a sigh of remorse,
and you wonder why they had to go away and leave a gaping hole.

Children leave parents, friends leave friends.
Acquaintances move on.
People change homes.
People grow apart.
Enemies hate and move on.
Friends love and move on.

You think of the many who have moved into hazy memory.
You look on those in the present and wonder.

You find you are made up of Bits and Pieces of all who have touched your life,
and you are more because of it,
and you would be less if they had not touched you.

I pray that you accept the Bits and Pieces in humility and wonder,
and never question
and never regret.
Bits and pieces,
Bits and pieces.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment