Wednesday 3 August 2011

A little bit of laughter

When you're suffering from an illness, whether its a mental illness or something physical, lots of lovely people always like to make suggestions as to what make you feel better. It might be certain films, music, activities, or exercise. And I must say, I'm a big fan of these suggestions...because anything is worth a try!

I may have mentioned  that I live in a little village in Somerset. Its very quintessentially English, full of cute cottages, lots of elderly folk, and most importantly a large selection of pubs..... 

Now, every month or so we get a parish magazine through the door. Its full of the village news (well, I'm not really sure if I can officially use that term actually) and also lists the various groups and clubs in the village. All sorts of stuff goes on down in the village hall....Swing dancing, the wine circle, the walking club, the history society, belly dancing, pilates, scrabble club (I actually quite fancy this one just to try and put as many rude words down as I can think of against some unsuspecting OAP...) whist club, and of course the WI.

I often think that maybe it might be good for my depressed brain to try one of these clubs out...and after seeing this report of the latest WI's meeting, I think I'm going to have to make a visit...

The speaker at our June meeting was Sydney Smith* who gave a very entertaining talk on the history of the bank notes and the Bank of England. During which, samples were passed around from different era's for members to see.

At our July meeting, our speaker was Miriam Wilson* from the local lingerie shop in Bristol. Miriam was assisted by her sister who modelled the underwear which she described was for 'real women'. She showed the different types of bras and how to get the correct fit and how to put them on correctly. It was a very interesting and amusing evening.

*names have been changed....

Actually, I don't think I need to go to the meeting, just reading the round up is enough for me, I feel better already...........

Oh I do love to laugh....

Cant wait to see what happens next month....Will it be the story of the safety pin? Followed by the history of the Karma Sutra...?

I'll keep you posted....!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment